One of the great lost masterpieces of Japanese animation, BELLADONNA OF SADNESS is a mad, swirling, psychedelic light-show of medieval tarot-card imagery with horned demons, haunted forests and La Belle Dame Sans Merci. Equal parts J.R.R. Tolkien and gorgeous, explicit Gustav Klimt-influenced eroticism, BELLADONNA is an art lover’s dream. In the four decades since its initial release, the film has inspired a rabid cult following, amassing devoted fans from the worlds of fashion, fine art, film and music (Sonic Youth, to cite one of our favorite examples, has been known to perform a live score to bootlegged copies of the film). Cinelicious Pics is extremely proud to be partnering with SpectreVision and Cinefamily in bringing BELLADONNA OF SADNESS to a new generation of audiences.
The goal of this contest is to inspire artists and generate excitement in the art community for the release of our new restoration of this truly amazing film. The entries to this contest are meant to promote our release of the film. Unlike many other contests, we want you to benefit from your time and hard work. To that end, you will be given full credit for your artwork in any and all instances of it’s use. When applicable, we will provide links to the URL of your choice and any and all artists whose entries become limited edition prints will be compensated.
The entries will be judged in by Cinelicious staff as well as three industry professionals. Meet the judges!
Please use the images and trailer below to help inspire you. We’ve also created a tumblr page where additional images and stills from the film have been shared.
- Art must be 18″ wide x 24″ tall, (add 1/4″ bleed if design goes off the edge of the paper). NOTE: your physical artwork can be smaller. So long as your artwork can be scanned at high resolution for printing at 18×24.
- Art submissions should be in JPG format and should not exceed 10mb. If your artwork is selected for printing, we’ll require a 300dpi PDF image in CMYK colorspace, so have one ready, but for submission purposes please keep your files sizes under 10mb.
- All art submitted will still belong to you (the artist). Click here for Terms & Conditions.
- All art must be submitted no later than: 11:59 PM PST, April 1st, 2016.
- Your design is up to you. We are providing 10 still frames from the film for your use or inspiration. You may use (or not use) them as you wish. (link above).
Submissions or Questions/Commnets…Please send to: email@example.com